Friday, October 22, 2010

Man Sewing, Maybe not the best idea :)

So a few weeks ago my wife and I found some foot stools at a couple of garage sales. Both were in pretty bad shape. The fabric on top was anyhow. We got both for under 5.00 and I had some fabric to refinish a bench from a while back. As I was taking the fabric off I noticed alot of sewing work on it. Don't ask me what type. I was initially planning on just covering it with fabric and stapling it on the bottom.

Well a week or so passed and we happened to find a sewing machine for 10.00. I had always considered trying sewing and figured this would be a fun way to try it to see if I could do it or not. Or if I even liked it.

Anyhow one day a week or so ago I decided to give it a try. Let me first say the directions for putting the thread into the machine are very confusing and took me about 2 hours to get the thing to make a line of sewing. (I'm sure there is a proper term for that) So I stripped the fabric off the old bench as best as I could without tearing it. Since this would be my pattern. I even managed to salvage the string that had been sewn into a decorative cord that wraps around the middle. Separating the top and bottom.

Here is what it initially looked like .
So anyhow I cut the pattern out. along with a long 3 inch strip to make the cord wrap. and started sewing. The foot pedal stopped working about half way through so I had to manually set it to slow and try to keep a straight line. Not fun.
So I ended up completing the bench with minimal errors (in my mind ) . There were some flaws though. The cord is had measured and sewn ended up being about an 2 inches short. I think i did it too loosely or something. I hide that in the back. and here is what turned out after my first sewing attempt
As you can see it isn't the straightest or super tight but I'm pretty happy with the outcome.
So anyhow, We were watching a TV program and happened to see an owl pillow on the couch in one of the scenes. I thought to myself I could probably do that so I started thinking about how I would do it.
I found some more fabric. Why I have fabric lying around is still a mystery but I found some old pillow cases that were either single or messed up on one end. I then looked around at some pillows on the Internet and drew up some plans. I figured if I ironed the fabric and cut it in half then I would have an even circle and ears, Well you get the idea. I started that at 8 this morning. I am now blogging about it at 1:15 in the afternoon. Man I didn't think a 10 inch ish pillow would take so long. So anyhow I did it in three pieces. Next time I will try a less ambitious way but why not go hard core of the bat :)
I made the wing section from an old t shirt fabric the body is left over bench material and the head and eyes are from a pillow case and fabric I purchased from the clearance bin. ( for the second bench)

I sewed it inside out, since I figured that's hows its supposed to work. I must say my next pillow will be square, Circles and semi circles are not for beginners. Here is the finished pillow


The pink lion is hiding the fact that he didn't come out completely round. The flat section is where I stuffed it and then attempted to sew by hand. He also looks a little sad. I'm not sure if that because I made him or he is just not that happy.

In closing, This is the second time I have ever sewn anything. For now I think I will just work on fixing buttons on my pants and maybe trying to  learn how to do this with a class or pattern. Oh and with a foot pedal, That machine can really get going sometimes.

Thanks for reading. Have a great weekend.

Ps. Everybody deserves to relax a bit, Visit my etsy shop for some relaxation and fun.

Joe

20 comments:

MYSAVIOR said...

Joe! You can come and redo my ottomans and chair pads any time. Great Job!!

You owl is so sweet and you will continue to get better as you go. Expert sewers had to start somewhere AND there are many many men in the Design world who sew.

I LOVE IT!!
♥♥♥
Sue

beadsoul said...

You are really ambitious! Great job, novice or not :)

Wendy said...

I'm totally impressed!!

Practice makes perfect but, handmade isn't always. That's what makes every item unique.

Unless you intend to use the items, put them up for sale-yard maybe-and see what you get! You'd be surprised ant what other people "can't" see.

Keep up the good work!

MegsCrochetJewels said...

wow!! great job!! I love the little owl!! he is so cute:)

Sue Runyon said...

BEGINNER projects are always nice for beginning :-) You did a great job with those ambitious projects though.

Crystal Zacharias said...

Looks like you did a good job!

Lauren said...

These look great! I love the owl :)

Ellen said...

joe, You really started with hard things. Next time, start with something simple. I love that you went gung ho anyway, though.

Ellen
SewLittleTimeinNC
from the Homefront team

watercolors said...

Joe, your sewing account was so fun to hear about. Haven't we ALL went through that process before??

Good for you - you finish a great looking job on the stool AND the pillow projects. You are a finisher and not a give-er-upper!!! Don't think that is a word.

Thanks for sharing, Roxanne
Watercolorsnmore

ZudaGay said...

I think you've made a great beginning! It is a good thing to learn as you go...or sew. :)

Sandi said...

I'm impressed - don't think I would have tried the ottoman. The pillow is delightful! Keep up the good work.

Sandi from Handmade By Sandi

Homemade Zen said...

Not too bad at all for your first attempt! Keep going at it and you'll get better at it! I got my husband to try sawing on a dare once, and your post brought back memories for me :) Thanks

AMKreations said...

I think you did an awesome job! I'm impressed...that is a work of art!

Judy said...

I think it was a GREAT idea! I love that you pick something to try and follow it through to the end!! Of all the crafts and things that I do, I taught myself all of it...sewing, knitting, crocheting, semi-professional cake decorating, floral design and arranging. I will admit that my dear mother taught me the basics of cooking and baking, but most everything that an artistic person does is self-perfected.

You did a great job on both projects and should be very proud!

Judy

Shell said...

P.S.

Judy is Shell...ha ha ha!!

TatusWelle said...

hahaha...escapades of a brand new man-sewist. You did a great job me thinks!!!

Angel Scents said...

Joe you did a great job! I love that owl. Please feel free to come here and do over my foot stools!! Great job Joe and you did it yourself!!

Jan

laruefashions said...

Great blog Joe. I am proud of you! When you try something, you go all out. I admire that.

Audrey said...

That is amazing!! I would never try that and I've been sewing for years! Of course sweats and sweat shirts for guys is pretty easy :)

sweetybird09 said...

Oh I think u did a great job Joe, I love the stuffed animals, you should do more of them and I love that a man is doing this.

I borrowed a sewing machine (I do not sew) I needed it for making some pillow forms, and well my husband ended up sewing the forms for me as I could not get the machine bobbin threaded so he did it...so my point is that men belong in the craft world :)